A Fitness Coach's Editorial: Exercise Technique at the Commercial Gym

Funny cartoon nerd geek typing on laptop
Here I present a bit of an editorial post. It involves subject matter that may be a little controversial but it is true nonetheless, at least in my opinion. I base the observations that I’m about to describe on decades of training, study, application and my professional fitness expertise. 

My Fitness and Exercise History

I’ve always been an enthusiast of all things muscle. Since the age of 15 I’ve taken in as much literature, education and fitness-related material that I possible could. I started bodybuilding before I could legally drive in the U.S. and I have hitchhiked to they gym, in a blizzard, out of desperation, so that I could get to the gym to get in a workout.

Like many other high school athletes and young men who wanted to achieve a lean, muscular physique, I devoured the content of muscle magazines and outdated text books to find the most optimal strategies to build massive amounts of muscle mass.

Back in the 1990’s I didn’t understand the science of muscle hypertrophy as a lot of young men know it today. Thanks to YouTube influencers, good and bad, the information is out there, albeit with much debate and at time, contentious. 

For example, it is now understood that one of the most effective ways to build large, full biceps is through stretch-mediated hypertrophy. This science-based concept for building big biceps has gained traction and has showed a lot of promise, although it’s full effectiveness is still debated in the fitness community.

My Fitness and Exercise Training

Once I started to build a solid base of muscle tissue and learned exercise technique from some experienced lifters and gymgoers, I pursued a personal training certification. I got certified as a personal trainer at age 20 and I started working at a major commercial gym, gradually working my way to a middle management position.

I felt confident in my knowledge, experience and relative success as a bodybuilder and I moved in circles of men and women who mostly lived the bodybuilding lifestyle. As such, I developed an eye for poor, sometimes risky, exercise technique and execution. This furthered my endeavor to educate the general population on exercise program development and safe, sustainable program design.

I was transferred to several gyms in the Baltimore, MD area into the early 2000’s and I took up competitive powerlifting. It was during my experiences as a strength athlete that I perfected the squat, bench press and deadlift, putting up relatively impressive numbers for my age at the time. 

My diligence in learning, engraining and perfecting my form in the big three lifts carried over to my laser-focused techniques in all of my accessory exercises as well. I got guidance and encouragement from my powerlifting coach, training seminars and, of course, from men and women much stronger and more experienced than me.

In 2002, I became a police officer and redirected my time and attention to law enforcement training and developing my skill and knowledge to perform my job as safely and effectively as possible. As I got settled in, my passion for powerlifting returned and I competed for another 10 years as a strength athlete.

To maintain a balance of powerlifting training and my career, I found it best to build my dream gym in my home’s two car garage. It was there for nearly 20 years I trained alone, applying my accumulating knowledge of exercise science and application. I was sequestered from the commercial gym setting and I took for granted the 25 years of exposure I had to high level, expert training and fitness-related education.

I made almost no observations of the general population exercising inefficiently in a commercial setting, violating gym etiquette standards and performing their lifts with horrific, dangerous technique. 

Funny black pug dog wearing glasses
My Commercial Gym Observations

In 2023, a YMCA facility opened very close to my home and I took advantage of it’s close proximity to my residence and the availability of a variety of modern exercise equipment. The first days in the gym were awe-inspiring for me. I hadn’t seen so many quality machines, racks and free weights in a very long time. I also hadn’t seen the masses exercising in such a cringy manner either.

As if I didn’t know this already, the vast majority of exercisers used very poor technique and their exercise selection was curious. I was reminded that most people don’t squat with proper depth, don’t use a full range of motion and many of the men used far too much weight than what would be ideal for their given movement. The only thing I saw people getting good at was increasing their risk for injury and being sloppy exercisers.

What kind of surprised me, but shouldn’t have, was that most women used better technique and selected exercise more intelligently than many of the men. I attribute a lot of this to the fact that women generally aren’t “ego lifters” and they typically don’t try to impress others in the gym. 

As such, they usually take care in selecting their load and choose exercises that are most effective for their target muscle versus the exercises that allow them to move a massive amount of weight. 

Muscle nerd geek holding books
Take Away for Better Fitness Results

People will forever exercise ineffectively in an unsafe, inefficient manner. This is one of the reasons many do not see positive results and get frustrated, leading them to fall off a consistent exercise program. Injuries are common amongst exercisers who perform lifts inappropriately, which keeps them out of the gym for extended periods of time. 

So, fellow fitness enthusiast, I suggest you seek out as much quality information as you can on proper exercise selection and technique and the most effective, scientific principles to build a lean, muscular physique. This often involves humbling yourself, slowing down and spending time and effort perfecting proper, safe exercise form.

Also, gentlemen, take a hint from the ladies. Stop ego lifting, lighten your load and select exercises that are appropriate for your goals, not impressing other people in the gym. Believe me, most gymgoers don’t care about how much weight you lift.

My Fitness Enhancement Recommendation 

Now, go have a productive workout and please, pay attention to your form and exercise technique and if you need help or assistance, don’t be embarrassed to seek out the guidance of a professional online fitness coach or certified personal trainer.

Also, I suggest reading up on current literature on exercise program design, application and execution. By educating yourself and interacting with experienced, knowledgeable, fitness enthusiasts, you’ll likely reap the rewards and achieve your muscular, lean body.

Also Read

Two Must Read Muscle Building Books to Add to Your Library

How to Get Compliments in the Gym: 7 Strategies That Really Work

References

1. Wakahara, T., et al. (2012). Stretch-mediated hypertrophy in the vastus lateralis muscle and patellar tendon. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26(2), 567-573. This study investigates the potential for stretch-mediated hypertrophy in the quadriceps muscles and tendons. It suggests that muscle elongation may play a role in hypertrophy.

2. McMahon, G. E., et al. (2014). Influence of concentric and eccentric resistance training on architectural adaptation in human quadriceps muscles. Journal of Applied Physiology, 116(11), 1493-1502. This study examines the effects of eccentric (stretching) and concentric (contraction) resistance training on muscle architecture, providing insights into the role of muscle lengthening in muscle hypertrophy.

3. Kubo, K., et al. (2007). Effects of repeated muscle contractions on the tendon structures in humans. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 99(4), 423-429. This study investigates how muscle contractions affect tendon structures, suggesting that muscle tension alone, without stretch, may be sufficient for muscle adaptation.

4. Blazevich, A. J. (2006). Effects of physical training and detraining, immobilization, growth and aging on human fascicle geometry. Sports Medicine, 36(12), 1003-1017. Blazevich's review article discusses how muscle fascicle geometry changes in response to various stimuli, including resistance training, and may provide insights into the role of muscle stretch in hypertrophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment