Bodybuilding Motivation Through Documentation

I learned very early on as a young bodybuilder the value of keeping detailed records of each and every workout that I performed. 

I can distinctly remember reading an article in one of the big time muscle magazines about how Dorian Yates strongly advocated keeping a training log and documenting the exercises, sets and reps performed during each training session.  

Well, when it comes to lifting, I’ve always embraced the philosophy of if it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.  Of course that mindset came back to bite me more than a few times as a young man when I would occasionally over-train during my pursuit of a massively muscular physique.

However, documenting each and every detail of every single workout session has allowed me to follow my progress over the years, clearly understand how my body responds to certain training programs and identify the best conditions for personal strength and muscular gains.  

Muscle Building Genetic Peak?

Sometimes I visit bodybuilding forums and message boards online and chuckle when I read a comment by a nineteen-year-old lamenting over the fact that he has reached his genetic peak and will likely never achieve the massively muscular physique that he has been working so hard for. 

I, too, had those thoughts as a young bodybuilder, and I would wonder how much muscular growth or strength gains I had in me. 

As I matured, grew, got stronger, grew some more and got even stronger, I quit worrying about whether or not I had reached my genetic peak.  I realized that I may never reach my so-called genetic peak as the body continues to adapt, respond and grow given the appropriate stimulus and nutrition. 

Looking back at my training journals from when I was a teenager, I see how far I’ve come in every aspect of physical development and maturity.  It’s nice to know that on my worse day in the gym these days I am significantly stronger than I was on my best days as a young bodybuilder. 

Continuous Muscle Building Improvement

Documenting each workout through writing down each exercise, weight, number of sets and reps has allowed me to improve a little bit during each subsequent workout. 

Have you ever found yourself wondering how much weight you used recently or how many reps you performed on a particular exercise?   This is a perfect example of why keeping track of every pound, set and rep is critical for continued improvement. 

By failing to document, you run the risk of seriously cutting yourself short if you happen to allow yourself to be exposed of a lighter work load or less intense workout be forgetting your previous performance numbers. 

Here’s an example:  Let’s say you are trying to stimulate the muscles of chest, shoulders and arms to grow by implementing the principle of progressive resistance in your workout program. 

In order for progressive resistance to work appropriately for muscle growth, each and every set of exercise must be performed with more weight and/or a greater number of repetitions than the previous workout. 

If you don’t keep track of the amount of weight and number of repetitions that you do during each workout, it’s likely that you will miscalculate how much weight or number of repetitions you should perform. 

This can result in little or no increase in muscle size or strength and lead to discouragement that can set you back for weeks or months. 

Bodybuilding Motivation

The sense of accomplishment and satisfaction of goal achievement can be a powerful motivator.  Nothing serves as a real, permanent reminder of an accomplishment better than documented evidence. 

Review of goals that have been achieved and personal records that have been set can put the mind into a motivated state that can result in continued development and progress. 

If your goal is physique development such as bodybuilding or weight loss, I recommend writing down comments, positive or otherwise, that you have heard from others regarding the appearance of your body.  

After all, when another person notices a change in your body and comments about it, it’s likely that many other people notice also.  These statements can also give you an idea of how effective your current workout or nutrition plan is.

I put this into practice years ago and would actually like it when someone would give me honest feedback about my physique.  

It is sometimes hard to hear, but I write the comment in my training journal, examine my diet and workouts, and make appropriate modifications.  This has helped me use objective observations to my advantage over the years and keep me focused and motivated. 

Keeping a workout journal is simple and costs almost nothing.  Some people like to keep workout notes in an electronic file but I find it best to use a good old fashioned pen and notebook to write down the details of my workouts.  

The notebook and pen can be carried in your gym bag or left in your home gym for easy access.  After a while, you may become like me and have volumes of workout journals that occupy an entire book shelf. 

Also Read:

No comments:

Post a Comment