Home Gym Shopping Guide: What to Consider

Commercial gyms are often overcrowded, parking is limited and dues are high. One of the most common complaints among those who work out at commercial gyms is the long waits at exercise equipment and members who don’t wipe their sweat off the machines when they are finished using them. 

Such  irritations often prompt athletes and exercisers to consider purchasing a home gym. This can be a significant challenge for serious strength and power athletes as the space and resistance requirements can be extreme.

As I've previously explained the thorough and exhaustive process I went through to purchase my home gym. As a former competitive power lifter, personal trainer and muscle enthusiast, I was able to prioritize my needs and preferences and determine the best gym equipment to purchase. 

When my research was complete, I settled on a Powertec power cage, nearly one-thousand pounds of plate weights and a Texas Power Bar. My gym fits nicely in my home’s two car garage, which I am still able to park my two full-size sedans in.

The following three factors are the most critical to consider when deciding to purchase a serious home gym.

Cost 

Of course cost is one of the most important factors to consider when making any large financial investment. Most strength athletes require high quality, sturdy equipment that can handle the abuse of serious lifting. 

My research indicated that many power cages and power racks on the market are overpriced and of inferior quality. 

I discovered that Powertec equipment is the most durable, reliable and highest quality while reasonably priced.  I was able to purchase my powercage, bench, weights and bar for just over two-thousand dollars. I calculated that I was spending more than twice that amount for every three years I maintained working out at a commercial gym. That fact alone convinced me that purchasing my own equipment was worth the investment.

Space Requirements

The minimum space requirement to fit a decent sized power cage, plate weights and bar is a one-car garage or equivalent sized shed or building. 

Of course the more space the better, as there must be adequate room to maneuver the bar, store plates and adjust your bench.

My Powertec cage, bench, plates and Texas Power Bar fit in my two-car garage. When I lift, I have to park my cars on the driveway outside of the garage to have adequate space.

Where to Purchase Home Gym Equipment

My personal preference has been to use Amazon.com for most of my strength training equipment. The equipment that I use and recommend, Powertec power cage and bench, plate weights and Texas PowerBar, are available through Amazon.com. 

The benefits of using Amazon are many, including price comparisons, fast and reliable processing and the ability to purchase many items on one site.

Also Read:
Improve Gym Performance by Using Wrist Straps
One Exercise for a Big Bench Press 

No comments:

Post a Comment